Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Secondary Mentor

I think that a secondary mentor is another person to have by your side through your capstone besides your primary.  They are there as an extra eye to critique and help you make your work better.  I think that it is a good idea to have a business professional as a secondary mentor because they might have a different outlook from your primary mentor on the things you create.  Although, if you can't find someone in this area, it is still a good idea to have a second professor giving you that extra motivation.  The kind of person who might not be good for this role is a close friend.  Having a friend as a secondary mentor may be fun, but in the long run it most likely won't get you anywhere.  You need someone who is going to be honest with you and not afraid to hurt your feelings when critiquing your work.

Someone who would be a great secondary mentor for me is Jennifer Moncel.  She is a business professional in a similar field of what I am wanting to do for my capstone.  Jennifer said she is willing to be a listening ear when I need one and would be more than happy to help.  Her availability is sort of scattered because she is a very busy person with having to keep up with her own company, so we would have to randomly set up meetings (preferably once a week).

Another possible secondary mentor who I was thinking about working with is Amy Shirong.  I took a web class with Amy a year ago and she was always willing to help me out when I asked for it.  Her expertise is media psychology and health games.  She expects a capstone student to integrate production and research into their projects.  These things may not be exactly related to what I will be working on, but I think it is always a good thing to have a different perspective on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment