Sunday, January 29, 2012

What Enslaves You?

1.  A project that I have done in the past that was very exciting for me was when I painted a mural on my boyfriend's living-room wall. What happened was I had made a painting for him for Christmas that year and it was the first time he realized that I had some artistic talent. After I gave it to him, he asked me if I could paint that same painting on his wall at home. I was definitely up for the challenge and I had never done anything like that before so this is why it seemed so exciting to me. I love trying new things and being able to have an entire wall of my own as an untouched canvas was AWESOME.

2.  When I first started the mural, I thought that it was going to look exactly the same as the painting I had given my boyfriend for Christmas. It turned out that a lot of the details I had put into the painting, didn't show up on the wall. It still looked really neat, but by the end of painting for two weeks I decided it "looked good enough" so I left some of the details out. Plus, we had people coming over all the time to hangout and everyone said it looked "done" anyway.

3.  Limitations that forced my project to change:
     - Money. Being that I did not have a paid job the summer that I painted the mural, I couldn't spend a lot of money on paint, brushes, and things that might have made the mural look better.
     - Size. The size of the wall was a bit different than the canvas I had painted the original painting on. I had to distort the painting a little so that it would fill out the whole wall.
     - Time. Spending two weeks doing nothing but painting the same thing really made me feel burnt out, thus resulting in not caring enough to add certain details.

4.  With the bead, limitations that immediately popped into my head were to not do anything that seemed too easy and making sure that whatever I did with it was a safe thing to do. The first idea I had for the bead was to make a movie about it venturing around town, rolling down hills and stuff. But because I am a procrastinator, I waited too long and it ended up snowing a lot outside so this wouldn't have been possible anymore, therefore the weather became a limitation for me. Another thing that set a limitation for me with the bead was that I felt I had so many possibilities, so I couldn't decide what would be sufficient or accepted as a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment