Monday, February 6, 2012

How to "Read" a Book

1.  The thing that stands out to me are the bright colors on the spine of the book. This stood out to me because there are no other books in my collection with bright colors to catch my eye upon.

2.  The sentence that I landed my finger on stated, "but then again you might not." Her voice was creaky, like a hinge that wants oiling. The letter p shows up twice in this paragraph. The specific spot that my finger landed on was the space below the word "again". The white space is surrounding a whole bunch of words. I can imagine the words being like islands in water, but it is a little odd being that I have always read words in a certain way in order to understand.

3.  The paper in this book feels old and thin, which is really weird because this is a newer book that I have recently been given. The cover feels smooth and raised on the parts where the title is written. I can barely feel the ink of the words when I close my eyes. Different colors do feel different with my eyes closed. Everything seems to be in black and white. I can tell that this book has not been read or opened yet because of the way the paper looks. The cover has a picture of farm animals on it. There is also a pattern of flowers in the background that you can only see if you look closely.

4.  This particular book seems to be glued, not stitched. There is some cloth on this book. It's in the spine. It is hardback and does not have signatures. The glue at the end of the spine looks dark gray. There also seems to be a couple of spaces where the book would open up to when the front and back covers are held in the air.

5.  There is no writing in this book other than the printing. To know that I am the first person to think about this makes me feel like I have the chance to make my imprint first on the pages if I wanted to. It also makes me feel as though I shouldn't write in it at the same time in order to keep it looking "new."

6.  I do not see any stains or fingerprints in the book considering that it is new, but there is a small piece of paper that has been ripped to use as a bookmark on page 6.

7.  The color of the pages are an off-white color. They look more or less cream-colored. The color looks more warm than cold, and more dull than bright. One thing I have noticed about the back of the book is that it includes a historical note, resources, recipes from the land between the lakes, and also a glossary. I found this to be a little odd being that this book is considered a blend of fact and fiction. I also noticed that some of the typography they have chosen to use is there to make it look old.

8.  The only evidence of the book being handled by someone is the paper bookmark. The edges of the paper feel a little rough and uneven. They do feel as though I could get a paper cut if I rub my finger against it too hard. I think that if anyone has read this book, they felt bored by it. I don't think that anyone has done anything with this book like I am doing now...but I could be wrong!

9.  I do hear the sounds when flipping through the pages. When flipping through the pages quickly it almost sounds like a hummingbird flapping its wing's in the wind. When I flipped through them slowly it could be compared to the sound of a helicopter flying in slow motion, like in the movies. I can hear the breeze. I can move the ashes of my incense with the breeze created by the book. I could most definitely use this technique to win a game that is based off of being able to give off wind power.

10.  I experienced the rumbling of the floor and the loud noise it made. Yes, I sensed the vibrations the book made in my feet. There is a weird difference when I take off my shoes and drop the book to the floor. For some reason, I don't seem to feel as many vibrations in my feet compared to when I had my shoes on.

11.  The book does feel cold at first and I can feel the temperature change where my hands were on the cover. I have been aware of this sensation before when reading a book. I noticed it because I used to work in a library that was kept very cold during a hot summer.

12.  When smelling the book, all I think of is old papers stored in files that haven't been looked at in years.

13.  The title of this book is, "The Tale of Hawthorn House." Based on reading the first page, I would guess that it is all about a haunted house and the stories that go with it.

14.  Now that I have experienced this book differently, it sort of makes me want to open it up and start reading it more. Books do still seem a little boring to me, but I have never been much of a reader. I will say that there is a lot of time and effort that goes into making books. I took a class once where I had to make one and I really enjoyed it.

16.  I feel like having this experience with a book makes me feel like I should explore other objects in the same way or maybe even people. Seeing things and using things in a different way than they should sounds very intriguing to me. I think that the point of this exercise is exactly that, to examine things in a different way than you ever have before. From this exercise I can take away the exploration part and use it towards my next project. I will try to see it from different views in order to make it seem more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment